[CREATE] Re: raw processing

Will Stokes wstokes at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 10:52:01 PST 2006

IMHO, if appropriate an image format library should provide auxillary
functions such as scaling if such an operation can or should be
performed in a unique fashion for that format. For example, one can
very quickly scale JPEG images by taking advantage of the DCT and IJG
code provides a means to do this by powers of 2. Since most RAW files
capture image data from digital cameras that use a color mosaic (the
exception being camera's equipped with Foveon sensors), it may be
useful to provide a scaling feature in a libRaw library. I'm
personally unsure if WB tools should be provided by this library as
well. In theory WB tools are useful even for working on JPEG images,
although RAW images certainly provide more useful information to work
with....
-Will