[CREATE] gbr brush format bumped

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris gwidion at mpc.com.br
Wed Mar 14 06:27:11 PDT 2007

On Wednesday 14 March 2007 10:23, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
> In my understanding there should be a technical reason to build a
> new format. With the view on all the variants of defined formats,
> this is even more reasonable. Would you sign the creation of such a
> format yourself?

Yes, I see no oblem with a new format designed with input of both
parties, or even by only one team, and would support it.

As for the technicla reason, althought he changes are small, you said
yourself there are tecnhcal chnages neededso you have to bump the
version of the brush format at this time.

I really do believe we can provide a better experience t users of both
apps by not releasing incompatible brush formats with the same name.
Call it .gbr4 - since nowadays the extensions are not limited to 3
letters anymore, but rename it.  (and also change the magic number)

You write as if " creatigna nther format"  woldeb such a big deal - it
is not. Yu are making incompatible changes to a format alreayd in use
by other apps - it is in all aspects, a new format, for such small
modifications as they may be. You won't exaust the "file format naming
space"  for that.

As for a new format from scratch, I think  the new format being
thought as the CREATE format will be able to store brushes as well,
with just a few more attrbiutes in the tags - (and these would, of
course use a different file extension than generic image files).

	js
	-><-