[CREATE] gbr brush format bumped

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Wed Mar 14 07:20:35 PDT 2007

On Wednesday 14 March 2007, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:

> I think it would be best if you could just rename the extensions to .cbr,
> maybe the magic number if the fileformat has one. Then we've got a start
> for a create brush format with initially four types (similar to the current
> three gimp types and the one you need now). I'll change Krita to load those
> instead of .gbr files, too. That can be done really quickly and it'll mean
> a fresh-ish start and no need to step on the toes of the Gimp developers.

Er... Maybe I was a little unclear. What I propose is this:

* let's start using a .cbr file extension
* have four versions of the fileformat designated by .cbr (three of them
compatible with gimp's gbr as it is, the fourth one cool and new and half).
* have cinepaint start using those. Other apps will follow.

This can be done quickly enough that Kai-Uwe doesn't have to delay his release
and means that Gimp has control over the .gbr file format again. It'll also
defuse the current situation, which is plus, too.

Then, after the cinepaint release we can all get together and start building
something flexible, something that's designed for sharing. using ppm would be
okay, I guess, as a basis, but brushes need some extra information.

(And maybe in the future, we'll even get some brush format for dynamic brushes
such as Cyrille is developing for Krita now and that already exists in
mypaint.)

--
Boudewijn Rempt
http://www.valdyas.org/fading/index.cgi