[CREATE] Fwd: [Gimp-developer] OpenPalette Implementation.

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Mon Nov 26 02:35:36 PST 2007

On Sunday 25 November 2007, you wrote:
> I find it interesting that the two articles you cite concerning XMP
> are both from 2005 - a lifetime ago in the computer industry.  XMP
> itself, as well the Adobe XMP Toolkits have advanced significantly in
> that time frame and has been adopted as the standard metadata format
> for various other international standards including PDF/A.

Unless there is an other source for the specification ([1]), the latest public
release of XMP date from 2005, so I guess the points raised by those articles
are yet to be solved ;)

> However, you are correct that at this time, Adobe is still the
> "maintainer" of the XMP specification.  We've been in talks with a
> variety of standards bodies concerning trying to make it "fully
> open", but it's difficult to find one that has expertise in both
> metadata and XML, so that it would thrive there and not "die on the
> vine".  We're open for any suggestions - especially from those that
> would participate in a open standardization process.

I agree with Hubert, W3C seems to be a good candidat, they have both expertise
in metadata and XML. And they also have a good relation with both open source
communauty and corporations.

> We are working on actual schemas for all of the standard "namespaces"
> that are documented and in common use today, and will be including
> them with the next update to the documentation and toolkits.  I
> believe this also address the RDF update issue, but I'll need to
> double check that.

Can we expect some improvement on the DublinCore schema ?

> As above, we're always open for feedback on our technologies!
And we are grateful for that !

[1] http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/en/xmp/sdk/XMPspecification.pdf

--
Cyrille Berger