[CREATE] assets library

Sven Neumann sven at gimp.org
Wed Sep 26 00:05:32 PDT 2007

Hi,

On Tue, 2007-09-25 at 19:15 -0300, Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris wrote:

> Why not:
> <space name="rgb">
> <color r="1" b="0.5" c="0.33333" name=... />
> <color r="1.0" b="1.0" c="0.33333" name=... />
> </space>
>
> After all..it s very much likely that one will have several color s in
> the same colro space in a single palette.

Conceptually, the color space is an attribute that describes how a color
is specified, thus it should be an attribute of the color.

On the other hand, the color space also defines what attributes are
allowed to define the color. The current proposal allows things like

 <color space="rgb" h="8" s="9" v="10" name="8910color">

which would be undefined. Of course one can explicitely disallow this in
the spec. But you can't express this rule in a DTD, so you cannot easily
catch it by validation.

I'd vote for something like the following:

It is better defined because the colorspace defines its attributes. Also
you will note that the color values are floating point numbers between
0.0 and 1.0. The other examples that I have seen so far used integers
without actually defining the range of them anywhere.

I also doubt that RGB should be used in such a document without
specifying it. sRGB would probably be an option. Perhaps the spec should
predefine a few common color spaces such as sRGB and also allow other
color spaces to be introduced by specifying a color profile.

Sven