[CREATE] assets library

Jon A. Cruz jon at joncruz.org
Fri Sep 28 09:19:46 PDT 2007

Interesting... I see Jon's reply, but did not see Kai-Uwe's original
mail...

On Sep 28, 2007, at 1:35 AM, Jon Phillips wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-09-28 at 06:52 +0200, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
>> Am 27.09.07, 20:07 -0700 schrieb Jon A. Cruz:
>>
>>> "swatch". It's not just a color, it's a "sample" or "material".
>>> It could be a
>>
>> IMO it seems a good point you make about the swatches terminology.
>> Anyway defining the basics is a good step forward. And the first
>> where
>> colour.
>>
>> Possibly the early versions of the swatches spec can handle just
>> colour,
>> but with a clear proposition to be extensible later?

I'd suggest strongly that good definitions of terms up front would
really help. Also finding out what *might* be needed in the near
future. Getting that info might allow us to bring more things in now.

So we could start filling out that "swatch" is a sample/material. It
might only be a color, but it might be more. The key here, I think,
is that we define that we're doing a "swatch book" standard, not just
a "a way to list a simple set of colors"

<swatchBook name="fred">
     <color name="one">
         <label>stop 00</label>
         <sRGB r="0" g="20" b="49" a="127"/>
     </color>

     <color name="two">
         <label>stop 01</label>
         <sRGB r="255" g="20" b="0" a="255"/>
     </color>

     <linearGradient name=">
         <label>Smooth</label>
         <stop offset="0%" color="one">
         <stop offset="60%" color="two">
     <l/inearGradient>
</swatchBook>

>> Thus a colour selector can pick a swatches_spec patch and look at its
>> colour and modify it, simply passing through the other material
>> properties. A more in depth swatch_spec renderer could show the
>> proper result simultaneously. Ok, thats for an other specification.

Right. Although I'd say that a color picker would not edit swatches
that are more than color, but could get a base color from them (aka
read-only).