[CREATE] What is a "swatch" ?

Liam R E Quin liam at holoweb.net
Sat Sep 29 05:32:01 PDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-09-29 at 12:34 +0100, jcupitt at gmail.com wrote:
> On 9/29/07, Jon A. Cruz <jon at joncruz.org> wrote:

> To my mind, swatch means something like those books of Pantone
> swatches. Flat blocks of colour (including special colours like gold,
> and perhaps different finishes too) which you can use for colour
> selection across different applications and media with some confidence
> that the final result really will look like that.
>
> Though perhaps I'm too bound by my (limited) experience with print.

Go to your nearest fine art supply shop and look at a Winsor & Newton
swatch book, e.g. the one for their artist watercolour range.

You'll see that there are rectangles for each colour, starting with
the pure colour at the top and getting weaker towards the bottom as
the colour is mixed.

Or write to a paper manufacturer and they can send you a swatch
book of paper samples.

So I think gradients and textures to be plausible things to consider.

Liam