[CREATE] Color swatches

Olivier BERTEN olivier.berten at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 15:50:20 PDT 2008

Cyrille Berger a écrit :

> I disagree, that would mean the color would look different when it is used.

It IS the case for all web development since (simple) RGB values are
transmitted over the web to people who, for most of them, use no
calibrated screen or printer. So colors look different in most of the
cases. It would be unfair to make people believe that since the colors
are defined in a color space that they will look the same on other
people's screens. It will be approximately the same, not exactly as the
presence of an icc profile could make people believe. As far as I know,
web color 'lightslategray' will be #778899 even on a AdobeRGB calibrated
screen.

By the way, most of the users of Inkscape or Gimp aren't professional
and don't have (again) a calibrated screen and/or printer so the colors
won't be the same anyway even if there's a icc profile attached.

Color spaces are needed only for the printing industry, not for web and
not for "normal" people. So the software should show a "print quality
label" for swatches (or colors) that have a profile attached but it
shouldn't be mandatory in the specification.