[CREATE] Fwd: Color swatches

Igor Novikov igor.e.novikov at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 21:01:25 PDT 2008

In programming sense there is no "PANTONE problem" This issue is a pure
psychological problem, no more. If application supports spot colors it
supports PANTONE. For example if I bought printed Pantone color catalogue so
I can use these colors in my jobs (without such catalogue it is impossible).
I can create my custom palette for these colors in sK1, of course for
personal usage not for distribution. It is absolutely a legal way. But
Pantone names are important in two production points:

1) customer/designer should select the colors in printed Pantone catalogue
2) before printing these inks should be prepared on precision scales using
Pantone approved formulas provided by ink manufacture

All the points are not software related directly. All you need is text label
on plate, for example  "PANTONE 107C". But for color separation there is no
difference between "PANTONE 107C" and "Customer Favorite Yellow Ink" labels.
As a result you will get b/w film anyway. For printing probe Pantone color
definition in CMYK is also approximate becase there aren't printing devices
which can reproduce Pantone color using 4 or 6 color printing.

"Pantone support" and Pantone  palette are important for those intense
people who say: "Your application doesn't provide Pantone palettes so it is
not professional application!". So such users can test importing palettes
from CorelDRAW and they will understand quickly that these palettes are
useful for attractive application screenshots only :) For example, although
we used Pantone based printing for our screen printing production during 6
years I never (!) used Pantone palette in CorelDRAW because it is just
redundant operation. Unlike MS fonts the Pantone palettes are only for
bating user's curiosity. But unfortunately this is important psychological
issue.