[CREATE] Pitching a community-funded conference

Daniel James daniel at 64studio.com
Thu Mar 13 05:13:21 PDT 2008

Hi Louis,

>> in general everything free software related goes
>> through the Open Source department, which is where we have our contact.

That could be part of the problem, because the open source departments
of the hardware vendors are largely fixated on the server business.
These people probably never talk to the graphics workstation or imaging
people in their own company at all.

 >> Sun
>> have a limited community budget this year

Without being too rude :-) you're hitting the wrong department if you're
asking for a hand-out from the community budget. You need to reach the
marketing people who understand that sales will be enhanced if their
product is associated with this cool new software. (And the marketing
guys have way more budget to spend on this sort of thing. A commercial
trade show costs in the tens of thousands of dollars for a large company
to attend).

>> If you have any contacts in the film industry, I'l happinly contact them.

My suggestion would be to ask Robin Rowe from the CinePaint project.
He's in a much better position to suggest contacts in Hollywood. There
are some effects houses in London, but I don't know anyone who currently
works in them. I will ask one person I know who used to work there though.

>> Intel are a sponsor this year.

That's great, but I didn't know that - there's no mention of this on the
website that I could see.

>> AMD: do you have an email address or phone number?

If you have sponsorship from Intel you will not get it from AMD. It's
worse than Gnome vs. KDE with those guys :-)

>> I'll leave that up to Louis - O'Reilly were a (cash) sponsor for LGM 1,
>> as well as a media sponsor with some books & publicity. I imagine we've
>> already contacted them.

I've also sent a mail to my contact in the UK.

>>> I'll contact Brian Osborn, who used to be the business development
>>> manager at Linux New Media.

Brian has responded already - he's forwarded my mail to a colleague in
Europe for an answer.

Cheers!

Daniel