[CREATE] Cross Software UI

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Tue Aug 18 08:57:03 PDT 2009

On Tuesday 18 August 2009, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> 2009/8/18 Brian Vidal castillo wrote:
> > maybe, but the idea is create a Team to work on those changes and help the
> > process to get smoother.
>
> Thought so :)
>
> > Also, help to settle down apps that doesn't even know wich ui implement.
Wouldn't it be more interesting to focus this project on writing a HIG ? And
leave implementation details out ?

> > If we compare GIMP and Inkscape we will see a lot of difference in the
> > icon set and such things.

For icons, there is the freedesktop naming spec:
http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-naming-spec/icon-naming-spec-latest.html

And for shortcuts, there is work in progress in:
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/default-keys-spec

The above two projects are discussed in xdg at lists.freedesktop.org

> Some of these differences are there for a reason :)
Yes icon should be the same only if the tool/whatever is the same function.
That said, one of the element that is missing in the proposal is the naming of
tools and filters as well.

> P.S. This list sets autoreply to sender, not to the list. You most
> probably didn't want to reply offlist :)
actually the list doesn't set anything, so it all depends on how
clever/revolutionary your client is ;p

--
Cyrille Berger