[CREATE] Cross Software UI

Brian Vidal castillo dael99 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 10:42:51 PDT 2009

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 13:15:24 -0400, Sven Langkamp
<sven.langkamp at gmail.com> wrote:

> You can't choose a programming language as this isn't really a software
> project. You can specify a HIG, but you can't code a UI and put them on
> top
> of all these projects.
> Projects that depend on the same toolkit might have some shared lib, but
> that doesn't work for all. In the end you have to do the work in every
> project with the specific toolkit/language.

Maybe... but one of the long-term goals is to makes them use the same
toolkit. Researching first which covers the needs. It's not very smart to
have a "Design Studio" collaborating between thems and have a different
toolkit.

There are amazing features on QT and on wxWidgets, also on GTK+, but maybe
a common toolkit would be simpler to develop and expand later.

What I mean, is that almost every design/media app is on C or C++. One of
the goals of the project is proviode a common language to talking. But
that's for the future.

It's faster develop on a high-level language like Java or C#, than on a
simpler one like C, C++. hat's why Vala was choosed: it's O*S (Open
Source) and it's a mask on top of C. Has an excelent performance and a low
learning curve.

For now, specifications are the target. Feel free to open bug reports to
start working on it. Surely projects will join us later, by now, we have
to think and research.

> Since most of these apps are cross-platform "Linux Design Studio" is not
> an appropriate name.

I can't agree more, but this started a year ago and it needed a name and a
vision, so, Linux was the platform targeted. Anyway, think on it as a code
name (a large code name isn't it?)

Also, LDS stands for Last Days Saints, so, the name really needs a re-name.