[CREATE] Font Select Dreams

Braydon Fuller courier at braydon.com
Sun Aug 30 15:14:27 PDT 2009

Dave Crossland wrote:
> 2009/8/30 Braydon Fuller <courier at braydon.com>:
>
>> What I am curious about searching for now is typefaces that are an
>> expression of software freedom. But not necessarily the licensing of
>> free software. A tight integration between software and typefaces, where
>> the letter forms have source code like a program rather than just paths,
>> etc. So when doing typeface explorations, you may not pull out the
>> digital draw of typefaces, but may do some hacking on a typeface source
>> code to come up with something new.
>>
>> Do you know of any projects like that?
>>

> This is how TeX's METAFONT works.

Cool. I'll take a look at it.

I remember hearing about a type designer that was working on typefaces
that designed variation into the forms, but I can not remember his name,
and can't find it either.....

Was thinking about this some more and I've been wanting to have a
typeface be responsive to other variables. Like something written in
JavaScript that has a built-in typeface with a wide range of widths, and
weights, similar to Univers. The font-selection in that family would be
extremely fast between the different weights and widths. To select
different weights you could hold down the letters for longer, for
condensed you would type very quickly. To select extended characters you
would type with big pauses between the letters. Could be fun to play
around with, and might make a good WordPress plugin for doing
typographically playful posts. I would hate to hack something like this
if somebody has already done this, so I'll do some research first, but
have you guys seen something like this?

Braydon