[CREATE] Font Select Dreams

Dave Anderson dave at davious.org
Mon Aug 31 10:49:41 PDT 2009

On 8/31/2009 2:10 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 7:40 PM, Dave Anderson wrote:
>> An idea struck me and I'd like to get some feedback on it.
>>
>> There 2 main concepts in the idea
>> 1. Make font selection easier by allowing a way to filter font-families.
>
> http://www.unifont.org/fontdialog/
>
> Alexandre

Thanks for showing me this.

Thoughts that struck me:
Wow, this idea has been out there for 4 years.

Then all my other thoughts are on tags vs. categories:
Hierarchical font categories are constricting compared to tags: a font
belongs in one category and to any number of tags.  The tag paradigm
happened a couple of years ago (I think); I wonder if that's why the
idea of tags weren't considered.  [Insert general tags vs. categories
debate here.]

(This is a somewhat weak thought, still it popped into my head)
With categories, there is the danger of having an overwhelming number of
fonts per category; if subcategories are employed to correct this, then
there is the danger of having to sift through subcategories.  I'm not
sure exactly what to think of this thought -- I suppose having a lot of
fonts to sift through is the actual source of the problem.  Thinking of
tags, perhaps a some kind of multi-select to filter on multiple tags
would be handy.