[CREATE] Application specific data in OpenRaster

Jon Nordby jononor at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 08:09:15 PST 2009

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 5:06 PM, Jon Nordby <jononor at gmail.com> wrote:

> In MyPaint we are storing a couple of application specific things as files
> in data/ and during a load-save cycle we recreate these files from scratch.
> This has the unfortunate side-effect that everything we don't know whats for
> gets discarded. While not really a prerequisite for fixing this, I think
> some kind of standardized name-spacing for the stuff in data/ is needed, so
> we don't clobber each others files. And specify that a round-trip between
> two applications does not delete any application specific data.
>
> So how do we do this? My initial idea is to keep it real simple:
> 1) store application specific files in data/APPLICATION/
> 2) always keep the other subfolders unchanged

Bringing this up again. Is the fact that one can loose or corrupt
application specific data during a roundtrip between two compliant
OpenRaster applications using a non-issue?

Are there any issues with my proposed solution? If not, I'm considering
making MyPaint and the oratools GIMP plug-in work that way.

--
Regards Jon Nordby - www.jonnor.com