[CREATE] New presenter

Thomas Sharpless tksharpless at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 07:25:32 PST 2009

Hello All,

As a builder of digital panoramic cameras and minor Hugin and PanoTools
developer for several years, I have been following progress in panography
software with great interest.  Recently I wrote a little OpenGL pano viewer
called pvQt, that has now turned into Panini, an interactive tool for making
"vedutismo" views from existing panoramas.  The reaction to Panini has been
very positive, and it seems it may have the potential to become a serious
photographer's tool, complementary to the the pano stitchers.

In any case, I'm tremendously excited by recent developments in the control
of panoramic perspective (which I modestly admit to having helped motivate)
namely the Pannini/equi-perspective/vedutismo projection and new "hybrid"
schemes that fit the projection to the subject.  By letting us make natural
looking prints of much wider views than was possible in the past, these
tools will enable a new phase of panography, with more emphasis on the
traditional flat image -- and I think that will lead to wider adoption of
panographic methods and software by the mainstream imaging and graphics
communities.

So, I would like to give a presentation and/or host a panel on the new
perspective methods at the Montreal meeting in May.  Not having participated
in LGM before, I'm in need of guidance on the right way to make this
happen.  Please advise.

Regards, Tom