[CREATE] KOffice profiles license

Dave Neary dneary at free.fr
Thu Jan 22 23:57:14 PST 2009

Hi,

Ted Gould wrote:
> Same as Pantone, a name equals a mixture of ingredients.  Just because
> you know how to make my grandmother's cookies doesn't mean that her
> recipe has no copyright.

Not that I want to diss your granny's cookies...

Pantone's considerably different.

The only copyright material you get when you purchase a licence for
Pantone is a spreadsheet with the names of the colours and suggested
RGB/CMYK values for displaying them.

The thing which Pantone wields as a weapon is trademark. You can't call
a selection of colours Pantone, or a specific colour "Pantone 134 U"
without permission from Pantone (and this is what they sell to computer
programmers).

I contacted Pantone about this a few years ago & had an interesting
discussion. IIRC, the Scribus guys managed to get their hands on a copy
of the Pantone colour sheet a while back, which is great, but if they
used Pantone's trademarked colour names in their product they'd be
exposing themselves.

So if this were your granny's cookies, we'd be fine as long as we didn't
call them whatever she called them :)

Cheers,
Dave.

--