[CREATE] Proposals for LGM 2010 - Deadline approaching

Femke Snelting snelting at collectifs.net
Fri Jun 5 15:38:52 PDT 2009

Hello all

> If the dates are not yet sure, what about announcing first the host city
> and the local organisation and take a few more days to determine the
> dates, once we also determined what institution/building will be the
> host of the LGM.

We're aiming for the 2nd weekend of May; it seemed to have worked for
the last few LGM's. Do you think there is a reason to change it?

> Short Press releases keeping up with the latest news will help us gather
> momentum around the event.

Will I write this, based on last year's template?

>     The local organisation responsible for LGM would be Constant
>     http://www.constantvzw.org, association for art and media.

> This looks promising but we have to deal with a few basic questions
> nonetheless.
>
> We would need to set a distinct accounting to set apart the LGM money
> from the Constant money. We have to sort this out quick and early in the
> process. There could be other views on this issue, of course. But in any
> event, the main reason for raising money is to ease the developers
> expanses by reimbursing the travel fees. This is the biggest part of the
> budget, by far.

ok, I understand and agree. How was this handled before?

> Would there be dedicated staff for accounting?

One of our members is responsable for accounting, but not only for this,
meaning we don't have an administrator or secretary.

> Do you suggest to handle all the money in one single place? On my part,
> I was suggesting we ask the GNOME Foundation to continue handling the
> international money but would this include the EU input, if there is to
> be any?

I think it is important to have a transparent situation. I am assuming
there is no LGM account yet? For the local/EU applications... If any
funding would come in, the applicant remains responsable and
accountable; unless LGM becomes a foundation itself and applications are
made in LGM's name.

>     We're interested in making connections with local printing industry,
>     though as you know, these are hard times.
 >
> You might consider split the load on the local printer by asking a paper
> mill to offer the paper (ecofriendly paper...). We could have a LGM
> publication printed among other things.

Thanks, we'll start working on this

>     Being a cultural organisation, we know well how to do funding
>     applications, but have not much experience with commercial sponsoring.
>     BXLUG has offered help on this but we will also need your help as well.
>
> This gives me the opportunity to say again what I think works best here.
> LGM is a team of people and altogether we do have a network. The
> corporate sponsoring can be handled by the larger LGM team, not only by
> the local team. There is no need to but that much pressure only on the
> local team! Remember we can do lots of things remotely.

That is good to know. In the mean time, the Dutch Piet Zwart Institute
has agreed to become an official partner.

> Internet acces too, bandwidth and power!

Yes, lots of it!

> Are we going to be able to gather the teams in as few hotels as possible?

For sure. Also, the hotel should have a good informal meeting space in
case work needs to happen off-venue. And wireless, of course. How many
rooms were booked in 2008 in the end?

best,

Femke