No subject

Wed Jun 17 12:13:41 PDT 2009

> ..."width" and "height" are positive integer, their default value is set
> to the value defined by the data source for a layer...

Thinking about this, I don't see any benefit for the width/height attribute
at all, as opposed to using an explicit crop filter when needed.  It seems
like an unneccessary and tricky task to calculate those default values.

I used to think this was a good idea to define the image frame (something I
want to introduce soon in MyPaint), however even this does not work at all,
at least not consistently with the position in the <image> tag.

Can we just remove generic size/height attributes from the spec please? Any
objections?

> Third, what is the range of the opacity property? I assume it is 0.0 to 1.0,
> but this isn't specified anywhere in the OpenRaster docs.

Yes, we even discussed this shortly on IRC, but only managed to turn it into
a float, instead of also defining its meaning.  Fixed in the wiki now.

> It would also be nice to have an attribute to mark a layer as hidden
> independant of its opacity.

Yes, probably. I guess this is quite an application specific feature. My
suggestion would be that you set opacity=0.0 for hidden layers, and add
extra attributes somewhat like unhidden_opacity=1.0, hidden=True.  This
should make all applications work correctly.

I think we still lack consensus how to handle such a situation. But I would
say just go for such a backwards-compatible hackish solution, and maybe even
add it to the standard like this.  Objections, anyone?

> Finally, what's the status of the text element currently? DrawPile has
> annotations, which are pretty much equivalent to text layers in other
> programs (except that DP annotations always float on top of the image), so
> naturally I'd like to be able to save those as well.

I have no idea. I think the way to go is that you propose something, and
when neither GIMP nor Krita people say something, you add it to the standard.

bye,
Martin