[CREATE] LGM2010 Proposals

Louis Desjardins louis_desjardins at mardigrafe.com
Wed May 13 04:45:02 PDT 2009

alessandro rimoldi a écrit :
> buondì louis e jon,

Bonjour Ale et Jon!

>> I would strongly suggest that we make the decision of next year’s
>> venue by May 31st.
>>
>> Following, a series of actions to be taken:
>>
>> 1) Issue a first press release on the city. A second one when the
>> dates are known and a third one when the venue (the uni) is known,
>> and so on. That way we keep the rythm. These will be followed from
>> time to time when we have something to say!
>>
>> 2) LGM 5 website should be up and running on the 31st and we start a
>> new Pledgie campaign right now.
>
> i fully agree that the decision for the next venue should happen as soon as possible.
> still have two remarks:
>
> - may 31st should be the deadline to deliver a formal proposal for the lgm2010 venue: i would leave at least two weeks for preparing a serious proposal...
> - the decision should be taken in the first june week

I am ok with this schedule and deadline. I think we should stick on it!

> concerning the website:
>
> - i'm ready to do the tech work also for the next issue.

Great! Great! Great! :-)
> - i'd like to have a creative partner who would do the the graphic design.

May I suggest we ask Andy to pursue his work on the LGM graphics as he’s
done a tremendous work for us this year? I would simply add to the specs
that we need to address a couple of simple needs:

We need:
a) A small version of the logo for various web use
b) A banner for websites to show their support
c) A printable version in SVG and EPS versions, color and black&white
d) A color version for our website and our website banner
e) A proposal for a t-shirt in one or more colors, bearing in mind we
can use it on various t-shirt sizes

General comment: I think it would be good to have the logo fixed for a
few years. What we are missing now is really only a small version that
would stand out in such a little size. We have made the point that
simply reducing the splash logo was not really an option (too small...
but OTOH the colored splash itself is pretty strong) I trust the "type
only" to be strong enough to play that role but our designer will have
to make the final call on this.

Professional comment: I think that once we have asked a designer to do
this work and he or she has accepted to do it, we must leave it to this
person’s judgement and responsibilty to make the calls on that work.
What we want to avoid is a "committee creative session" and letting
everybody enter the round and have a say. This will only lead to endless
discussions, and will lead to frustration and confusion. We don’t want
that. It’s creative work. This doesn’t mean we cannot comment the work
but it certainly means that it’s the graphic designer’s responsibility
and prerogative to complete the graphic design and adjust it to the
various needs we have. :-)

> - i don't think it's good to already switch the site to lgm2010: i really hope that we will have visitors wanting to see the past program fore a few months.
> - the introductory text should be edited to state that lgm is over for this year and -- as soon as the venue is known -- announce the next year's event. i will take care of it. eventually linking to a lgm2010 subsite (which would not be shown by default)
> - imo, the lgm2010 website should be switched in on december 1st, leaving enough content online until then.

I completely agree that we are still living on LGM 2009 for a few
months. We need to change the text to mention the following (below is a
proposal):

EN - "LGM 2009 is now over and was a tremendous success. We now look
forward to LGM 2010 which city and venue will be announced on Sunday
June 7. Stay tuned!"

FR - "Le LGM 2009 a connu un immense succès. Nous préparons déjà
l’édition de 2010. La ville et le lieu seront annoncés le dimanche 8
juin. Restez à l’écoute!"

While I agree with you, there is still something that needs to be
understood and addressed. We need to start working on the sponsorship
without any delay after June 7 (and we can even start now with this
year’s sponsors). This is the most critical task at this point in time.
And for this, we do need a website identified to 2010. Please read on.

First action, add the little sentences to mention that we look forward
for LGM 2010... Then create a branch for /2010 and let’s prepare to be
filling it with the links to the Press releases to come (City, Venue,
Dates, etc.). Put a link on the /2009 (which will still show up first
for a few months) to the /2010 which will be for a short time an empty
shell.

I again agree that we should have the /2009 showing up first for a few
months but December is way too far for this, imo. In absolute respect of
the contrary opinion I strongly suggest the /2010 website should be
online — and first to show up — by *mid-August* (Sunday August 16).
There would of course be a link to the past LGMs on the /2010 front
page, so people can refer to it and access the video content and the
slides, the program, who came, etc.

> (- i will remove the "sign in" form asap)

Yes!

Let me thank you one more time so much for all this great work! Every
year we raise the bar and I think we can all be proud of this. LGM
rocks! :-)

Buona giornata!

Louis