[CREATE] LGM2010 Proposals, links, flickr, videos and more: Please RESPOND with your links

Craig Bradney cbradney at zip.com.au
Wed May 13 11:57:54 PDT 2009

Dave Neary wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> Louis Desjardins wrote:
>
>>     Also, look forward very much to proposal(s) for the conference for
>>     next year. How about these get in by June 1st?
>>

>> I would strongly suggest that we make the decision of next year’s venue
>> by May 31st.

>>     Sounds like Burssels is
>>     the best option for many reasons right now.
>>
>> I think that too. We’d need to make sure with OSP that they have access
>> to the facilities, rooms and Internet access and accomodations are
>> accessible at a reasonable cost. But the preliminary discussions lead to
>> think they are already on track preparing an offer.
>>

> How about hosting LGM as a sub-event of a larger event next year -
> perhaps FOSDEM, if we're talking about Brussels?

We all agreed last year for 2009, that hanging LGM off another event
dilutes the interest for LGM and takes away from it more than it gives.
> I'd also like to sollicit proposals from central easy-to-access cities:
> if you're in Paris, London, Amsterdam or Frankfurt (Brussels is pretty
> good also), and you are connected to one of the libre software graphics
> projects, how would you feel about hunting for a location and organising
> the minimum infrastructure necessary?
We have a firm offer from OSP to organise in Brussels. Shouldn't we
respect their offer, let them firm up the possibilities and run with
them unless required to switch? It certainly has good travel
connections, and this will help keep costs lower while the economy is down.

Nobody else offered a Euro site while at LGM.. but sure, if others do
have proposals that could become concrete offers, we should hear them.
We do need to have a backup if Brussels falls through and one we can
switch to quickly.

Craig