[CREATE] create resources, OpenRaster and tiled layers

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Fri May 22 05:52:19 PDT 2009

Hi,

Both MyPaint and Krita
(http://www.valdyas.org/fading/index.cgi/hacking/krita/background.html) have
the concept of a "background" image -- a pattern that is tiled behind the
actual layers, for instance to show something that looks like paper when
sketching.

Ideally, we'd be able to interchange images that contain such a background in
OpenRaster. MyPaint saves its background as a layer and has some code to
detect that the layer is actually a background layer with a pattern, but also
saves a filled png of the size of the image.

I think it would be generally useful to be able to save layers that have tiled
contents, and that it would also be nice to have an explicit tag that declares
such a layer to be a background.

About create resources: maybe we could define a new resource, backgrounds,
that we can package with create and re-use across applications? Both Krita and
MyPaint now use pngs's, but it would be nice to have a format where we can
name, tag, categorize and so on.