[CREATE] OpenRaster needs preview

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Wed May 27 03:35:38 PDT 2009

On Wednesday 27 May 2009, Martin Renold wrote:
> hello,
>
> Here are my notes and the proposal.
> I will add this to the specification if noone objects.
>
> Notes:
>
> This is what other file formats do:
> - OpenOffice: includes Thumbnails/thumbnail.png, 256x256, alpha
> - Krita: includes preview.png, 256x256
> - XCF: GIMP adds an 128x128 preview to ~/.thumbnails/normal/
>   Nautilus and Konqueror use them but can't generate them.
>   Renaming or moving those files removes the preview, see:
>   http://jens.triq.net/thumbnail-spec/thumbsave.html
>
> The maximum size that any program shows without "really" opening the
> image is 256x256 (when hovering over PNG in konqueror).  Usually,
> thumbnails and previews are limited to 128x128 at maximum zoom.
>
> Proposal:
>
> I suggest we go the Krita way and add a file called "preview.png", with a
> maximum size of 256x256.  The preview must not be referenced in stack.xml.
> The preview is highly reccommended, but not mandatory.  This is in order to
> simplify the minimal OpenRaster export implementation.

I would suggest the ODF (or as you named it OpenOffice) way, and use
Thumbnails/thumbnail.png. That way application that allready support ODF
thumbnail just have to add openraster as a mimetype, and it will works
automagically. I suspect the krita way is inherited from the old koffice file
format, lets go forward and uniformize with existing ISO standard :)

> Programs that save OpenRaster files should add a scaled version of the
> preview to ~/.thumbnails/normal as specified by the "Thumbnail Managing
> Standard" (max. 128x128, see link above).  Other programs are encouraged to
> update this when required (eg. file rename).

My personnal opinion is that it's not up to programs (other than file
management), to manage ~/.thumbnail and that the way the gimp did it is just a
work around and should not be generalized.

A bit off topic...
Looking at [1], I think the data directory should be only a recommendation,
since anyway all files are saved in stack.xml with a relative path from
stack.xml.

[1] http://create.freedesktop.org/wiki/OpenRaster/File_Layout_Specification

--
Cyrille Berger