[CREATE] OpenRaster needs preview

Martin Renold martinxyz at gmx.ch
Wed May 27 08:54:12 PDT 2009

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 12:35:38PM +0200, Cyrille Berger wrote:
> I would suggest the ODF (or as you named it OpenOffice) way, and use
> Thumbnails/thumbnail.png. That way application that allready support ODF
> thumbnail just have to add openraster as a mimetype, and it will works
> automagically. I suspect the krita way is inherited from the old koffice file
> format, lets go forward and uniformize with existing ISO standard :)

Yes, good point.

Btw. I see now they require 128x128 pixels in the standard, but OpenOffice
still saves 181x256.  And I don't get why they want to force an alpha channel.
Probably because the Thumbnail Managing Standard does require it, which I
don't get neither.  Anyway, many of my ~/.thumbnails have no alpha channel.

I guess standards only go so far.

> My personnal opinion is that it's not up to programs (other than file
> management), to manage ~/.thumbnail and that the way the gimp did it is just a
> work around and should not be generalized.

I tend to agree, so this point shouldn't go into the OpenRaster specification.
In the meantime it could still be the fastest way to get thumbnails working.

> A bit off topic...
> Looking at [1], I think the data directory should be only a recommendation,
> since anyway all files are saved in stack.xml with a relative path from
> stack.xml.

Corrected.

bye,
Martin