[CREATE] Open Colour Standard(s) and LGM

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Thu Nov 12 09:13:41 PST 2009

Sure propose it!

On Nov 11, 2009 11:35 PM, "Doug Schepers" <doug at schepers.cc> wrote:

Hi, Christoph-

Christoph Schäfer wrote (on 11/10/09 11:39 PM):

> > Just thinking aloud as a preparation or future discussions with the
colour > company: Does anyon...
Without trying to be too W3C-centric... what about bringing this to W3C?

Setting up a new standards body just for this may involve more overhead
than you realize, and may not have the reach or credibility you want to
make an impact on industry.  W3C already has the infrastructure in place
for public participation and Royalty-Free license obligations, many
members with print interests, and the neutrality and visibility to
promote such an effort.

We also have a spec in progress that deals with color management [1][2],
which would seem to be a good match.  It would also be good to have a
treatment of some of these color issues in CSS, SVG, and XSL-FO specs.

Disclosure: I'm the W3C Team Contact for the SVG and WebApps working
groups.  I'm also a new member of OASIS, as a participant in the ODF TC
and liaison to the SVG WG, in an attempt to make SVG a first-class
citizen of ODF.

I'd be happy to bring this up with the ODF TC to get more feedback,
though right now they are focused on finishing ODF 1.2... future work
will start in earnest next year, I think.  I'm not the right person to
advocate for this, but I can help coordinate efforts (it would be one of
the few times in my life that I'd be color-coordinated ^_^ ).

If you're interested in talking more about these possibilities before
LGM, get in touch with me (or Chris or Liam) offlist.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGColor12/
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGColorPrimer12/

Regards-
-Doug