[CREATE] LGM 2010 Website

Alexandre Prokoudine alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 00:43:24 PDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 11:17 AM, Christoph Schäfer wrote:

>> Just how many more Ubuntu Studio, 64 Studio and AGNULAs do we *really*
>> need? :)
>
> What we need is a distro created by people who know what they are doing, not
> attempts by people who don't!

64 Studio, for instance, is created by people who are actually damn
good at creative work. Surely I don't have to remind you that it's
always better to check facts and *then* talk?

>> Can you save a multilayered ORA
>> with clipping paths fron GIMP and manage layers/paths in Scribus (like
>> you can with TIFF and PSD)?
>
> Since when is ORA even close to being a finished spec?

Heh, SVG *is* a finished spec. Does it help supporting it well? Sorry,
but your argument doesn't work. Do come up with something else, please
:)

My point is that free/libre apps have very poor interaction at present
time, be it graphics or audio. For various reasons. Lately this has
been changing with e.g. MyPaint adopting ORA as native format and its
team creating an I/O filter for GIMP, or LASH slowly becoming a good
enough solution for audio sessions management, but clearly this is not
enough.

It's just like with GIMP -- pro users can excuse some non-optimal UI
solutions if they have access to a number of well-know hi-fi/end
features to get the job done. Getting job done in the real world among
other things means you can always open a file you were sent by a
client. But right now people have problems even creating 100% FLOSS
based workflows, and no -- it has nothing to do with particular
distributions or desktop environments or toolkits, no matter how *you*
like bashing Gtk+, GNOME and Ubuntu.

A good part of the reason is in lack of contributors. But the other
half is that working on file formats support is a bloody boring work
that very few people want to do.

>> Pick any pro user who does complete packages for companies (from
>> web-site to TV promos) and he'll tell you how easily you can pass data
>> between Ai, Ps, Fl and Ae. Yet another distro won't get us there and
>> there are people already who do "creative" distributions already,
>> based on Debian, Fedora, Slackware and whatnot.
>
> See above. And btw.: How easy is it to use a program that's not part of a
> certain vendor's portfolio, but actually more suited to the task in a
> workflow?

Try opening a CDR from X4 in AI CS4 sometime.

> I agree with you in that "[y]et another distro won't get us there," but else
> you seem to be advocating an authoritarian approach. It won't happen, no
> matter how often you claim superior knowledge -- sorry for this, but your
> arrogant tone almost asked for a retaliation ;P

This knowldege is not superior, it's just not evenly distributed among
humans :) Sorry to see you in the thinner later :)

> Moreover, I'd be glad if you were more careful with statements like "Pick any
> pro user." Like it or not, there are millions of professionals out there who
> use a mix of different applications and vendors to get their work done.

Pick any pro CS user. Do you like it better now? :)

>> Please stop using 199x distros :) Modern Qt4 apps can use Gtk+ file
>> dialogs just fine when launched in GNOME
>
> Since you are aware of of my (strictly personal) distaste for Gnome, I won't
> comment any further, except that we seemed to agree at some point that the
> Gnome/GTK+ file dialogs are a PITA ;P

Wrong

EOT for me. You contradict for the sake of contradiction. This is
leading nowhere.

Piece,
Alexandre