[CREATE] SVG Import/Export (was Re: Create projects)

Yuval Levy create07 at sfina.com
Thu Oct 8 20:34:08 PDT 2009

Danke fuer die Erklaerungen, Christoph.

Christoph Schäfer wrote:
> Scribus is primarily designed for creating print-ready PDF and PostScript
> files, which means, among others, that it doesn't have to support the whole
> SVG standard (e.g. the animation part).

this explains to me why some of the features (e.g. animations) are not
editable in Scribus.

wouldn't it be possible to simply "hide" those parts of the document
that can't be edited (e.g. for an animation, just show the first frame,
or, better, show the one single frame specified by the animation program
as being the "master frame" - may require some changes in the specs
and/or in the animation program, but will result in better
interoperability). But keep them in the file, i.e. load and save them along.

I understand the devil lies in the detail, and the difference of purpose
  of the different tools has consequences on the support of file formats
and functionalities. And I am sure you thought of such strategies as
"graceful degradation" in this context.

> Go ask Quark or Corel for specs of their file formats ;)

or Canon, Nikon, SONY. Nobody's perfect, but we can try to strive to be
slightly better than the pack.

Thanks again for the explanation and have a good weekend.
Yuv