[CREATE] LGM 2010 Website

Alexandre Leray newsletters at alexandreleray.com
Sat Oct 10 16:04:04 PDT 2009

Thanks Louis!

Sorry for being silent for a while: we do feel passionate about many of
the issues discussed here, which is why our design looks the way it
looks. Our first concern now is to get the LGM site launched sooner
rather than later, so here's an attempt to go back to the concrete issue
of the LGM site/logo:

First of all, we designed a visual/typographic identity to the yearly
Libre Graphics Meetings (and not to all Libre Graphics projects).

To summarize (sorry if I misrepresent):

- it looks beautiful amazing etc. (some of you :-))
- background yellow over-saturated (many of you)
- concern about visual continuity (a.l.e, Tobias)
- site looking 'too technical' (Tobias)
- finding logo too generic (Tobias)

The main issue for OSP, is that we don't think continuity can be
resolved by going back to the paint splash. We honestly feel it
misrepresents the pleasure of using and developing Libre Graphics Tools
and we have consciously decided to work with imagery that avoids such
remediation.

So for us, it is a package deal! Diversity of projects and people
present at LGM is important so the background represents the different
materials we share between us (designers, developers, artists). Since
the meeting is a yearly point of convergence, we thought it needed to
mark the occasion by some kind of flag.

We think that the logo would look fantastic on LGM merchandising, it is
a strong graphic signature and the site-background can be used in many
other ways too.

We don't know really when/how to reach a consensus but hope your
enthusiasm prevails :-)

all the best from Brussels

Alexandre Leray and OSP