[CREATE] unicode reference lib

Craig Bradney cbradney at zip.com.au
Fri Apr 30 16:08:59 PDT 2010

On 4/30/10 11:27 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> Письмо про алфавиты в CREATE
>
> Hi,
>
> Recently a Glyphs dialog was added to Inkscape for easier special
> characters insertion. While it certainly is a good thing, there is one
> issue I'd like to discuss.
>
> There are five applications I can name off-top of my head that list
> translatable Unicode blocks:
>
> - Gucharmap
> - FontForge
> - Fontmatrix
> - Inkscape
> - Scribus
>
> But they do not always agree on naming of blocks. E.g. where FontForge
> has "Yi syllables and radicals", Inkscape has "Yi syllables" and "Yi
> radicals" separately, and so on. I happen to translate four out of
> five these applications (except Gucharmap) and I feel PITA growing
> despite of using translation memory.

Should the reference not just be unicode.org? Yi Syllables being their
name for this one in particular...
> Therefore several questions:
>
> 1. Is it possible to create a library that would provide a centralized
> localizable list of Unicode blocks always matching the current Unicode
> specification?
>
> 2. Or is there a library that could be adapted to solve this issue?
>
> 3. Or is there an existing solution that simply isn't acknowledged by
> developers?
>
> 4. Would such a list work for any application, be it C/GTK+/gettext or
> C++/Qt/TS-QM?

There's probably someone on the list who knows a lot more/is a lot
closer to unicode.org.. but.. unicode.org does offer some stuff to
download.. http://cldr.unicode.org/index/downloads/cldr-1-8 being one..
the numeric systems file in there is an interesting one (page numbering
etc).

Craig