[CREATE] [LGF-LGA] Ok, let's start with a website

a.l.e ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Thu Aug 12 11:31:52 PDT 2010

hi camille,

> Honnestly, Spip is good on i18n... but it's very old. At least
> templating is a real mess, and I often experience caching problems
> with spip websites. I'm very interested in Anwiki... wiki + i18n
> optimisation seem to be what we need. If we consider the Aïki
> framework wich is quite young, why not Anwiki ?
>
> On Drupal, my website (www.yagraph.org) is based on Drupal 6, and I
> never succeeded to set up i18n correctly despites my efforts (I gived
> up). Maybe I can try again...
> Can you be more explicit on the Drupal tools ?
>
> More and more, It seem that a "cms-oriented" wiki is a good idea...
> Mediawiki is well know and robust, but I'd like to know more an
> Anwiki.
>
> In my point of view, intersting candidates so far are Mediawiki,
> Anwiki, Aïki and maybe Wordpress.

we have used anwiki for the latest LGM website.

nice points:

- warns when a translation is not up to date

- if a page (or a part of it) is not translated it's shown in the
  default language

- very cooperative developer

- "easy" way to add structured content (like a list of projects)

- the code is very clean and modular (very enterprise-java).

less nice points:

- the translation helper is somehow hard to use and there is a risk of
  losing older translation when updating the content (there is a bug
  report for this)

- no wysiwyg nor wiki style editing of the content (only html tags;
  support for both is afaik planned)

- the default stylesheet is a bit too complicated and is hard to
  customize (but we mostly succeeded; and it should be possible to
  create a simpler default template).

- no file uploader (planned).

the experience while creating the LGM website was not only positive,
most of all because we had to respect the deadlines and did not have
much time to learn how to use anwiki.

basically, i would love to create a second site with it, if there is
enough time to implement (and let implement) the missing features.
(and if i'm not alone doing it!)

personally, i think that anwiki would be the perfect solution for our
site... if it was mature!

before expressing my wishes i'd like to learn how to use aiki, though!

ciao
a.l.e