[CREATE] Fwd: Re: [LGF-LGA] Ok, let's start with a website

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 03:23:22 PDT 2010

2010/8/16 Camille Bissuel <cbissuel at yagraph.org>

> to Cyrille Berger :
>

> *While lgw does not cover the LGA purpose, it matches the lga website. To
> be
> honest, from what I have understood, lga = lgw + create.*
> ---> In my view, lga > lgw + create, to another public (users) and other
> aims (demonstrate + explain +teach ...). LGW is excellent for news and
> Create is excellent for collaboration between projects, but there are others
> topics to be covered.
> Can I mess up the create wiki and change it's aim without starting a flame
> war ? If I can, I do agree with you that there is no need for another
> website.

Hi Camile !

Maybe I can suggest you don’t put words like "mess up" in this context ?
This is surely paving the way to some sort of mess... :) which is obviously
what you don’t want to achieve !

> *If people thinks create does not works very well, I fail to see how
> having an "association" is
> going to magically solve any problem. Especially, considering that what
> create
> lack is mostly of animation.
> Also, creating an association with no revenue seems to be a lot of
> bureaucratic work. In many countries, the main point of registering an
> association is to get access to a bank account.*
> ---> to have a bank account in the future, you have to start by creating an
> association, not the opposite way. It will allow us to start the project and
> start to share some means. Furthermore, according to a.l.e, creating an
> association in Switzerland is really simple and there is no bureaucratic
> work.

Never underestimate the bureaucratic work... :)

> *Finally, I want to encourage any effort in promoting libre creative
> software,
> but I add my voices in the "there is already too many separated efforts,
> lets
> join force instead of creating new".*
> ---> Totally agree with that. What I'm doing wrong to let you think that
> LGA is not about joining forces ?
>
> For the Libre graphics magazine, I do agree too, but it will have a far
> much lesser diffusion than a website. I don't understand why peoples agree
> on the magazine, and not on the website, despite they share parts on the
> same objectives (promoting and demonstrating libre graphics tools).
> Am I stupid ?

In the eyes of many people on this list we are already into an
"association". We belong to this community, we work together, we communicate
a lot, we have means to do this. This is what most people would call an
association !

You have more ideas, which is great ! You think we should embrace more
topics that are not covered yet, okay !

But again, this can all be done going in the same flow we have already. No
need to reinvent the wheel. Just push in the same direction. Add some more
bits here and there. If we need a more structured association, we have
already a discussion on the wiki about this and a few incredibly rich
threads on the Creates Mailing List. Already, there is a big work only
gathering together those ideas and make them come alive...

I think that so far it’s only a matter of communication. I have been
participating in the BoF at LGM with you. I am all for a more structured
association. We have announced together at LGM that we’d be doing it
quickly. The only thing we should do now is do it.

Some more notes.

In 2007 I have put together a non-profit to help organise LGM as I rapidly
discovered that in order to get some local sponsorship (especially from the
government). Since then, this non-profit has been left there, unused. I
haven’t looked after this association for years. I didn’t use it in 2009
because it was too much for me to handle the accounting so I preferred to
leave that to the GNOME Foundation. Today, the assocation named "Quebec
Association for the Development and Promotion of Free Software" is reviving
because we have a big project going on with the Francophonie and we will be
handling funds. I have even opened an account in euros so we don’t need to
convert the funds and we thus avoid a lot of stress with the handling of
international funding, something that is even better than what the GNOME
Foundation can offer us, in some way. It would be as easy — and even easier
— to open an account in US dollars. But all this have a cost in both money
and time. An account at the bank cost a little bit of money. And we have to
provide some papers each year to the government, and we need a proper
accounting...

So there is an association which I run and which has no website !
Nonetheless it works and with this new project with OIF it will be running
for months from now. I even have plans to use it next year for LGM —
although I am still not sure of that but I am thinking of that...

All this to say that if you think we need a better / nicer

Louis Desjardins
mardigrafe.com
libregraphicsmeeting.org
+1 514 994 9351 (Cell)