[CREATE] LG magazine #1::∞

a.l.e ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Tue Aug 17 02:32:09 PDT 2010

hi ricardo

after having read your mail some more thoughts about the way i "see" the
magazine... it's just my opinion, of course!

- as far as i am concerned, you and ana are very welcome to create
  further issues of the lgmag! at the same time, i'd also like to see
  other crews creating "their" lgmag!
  it would be wonderful to have some sort of main group managing it and
  -- on top of it -- some people who could freely work on single issues.
  that way i'd like to make some publicity for people already working
  with free tools and get some new designers to try out our programs.
  every crew will be free to have it's own approach to the magazine.
  both on the content and form side (well, i prefer a form which is easy
  to print, of course). the community would be there to help feeding
  the content.

- about pdf / paper / web: i would also love to produce every issue on
  paper, but i wonder if, on the one side, we can find the money to
  print it and, on the other side, if we have the channels to distribute
  the printed copies.
  very likely, most of the content which will be in each issue will
  already be available somewhere on the web. one of the reasons why i've
  pushed the idea of a magazine is to have an archive of selected topics
  anybody could download and get a clue what that "libre graphics"
  thing is. in that sense a "clunky" pdf does make sense to me.
  if we can produce a magazine which is easy to print in few copies, i
  guess that anybody needing a few dozen copies can print them at the
  nearest print shop. (more expensive to print, but cheaper to spread
  around the world)

- after having produced a few issues on paper and/or on pdf, i guess it
  will be much easier to find some sponsoring... i hope! (i have
  already an idea where i could ask here in switzerland. but i need to
  have some more issues and i can't ask any money for this year
  anymore).
  i'd also like to have some sort of subscription model... but since we
  still don't have a schedule, a clear direction, nor a way to manage
  the money, i guess it's still a bit too early to talk about it!

i guess that for now the best thing would be to just do some magazines
and not talk too much about what the magazine should not be or what
its limits are.

let's just do it! and we will see in which direction the wind blows!

ciao
a.l.e