[CREATE] LG magazine #1::∞

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Tue Aug 17 12:24:16 PDT 2010

On Tuesday 17 August 2010, Louis Desjardins wrote:
> 2010/8/17 a.l.e <ale.comp_06 at xox.ch>
>
> > hi ricardo
> >
> > after having read your mail some more thoughts about the way i "see" the
> > magazine... it's just my opinion, of course!
> >
> > - as far as i am concerned, you and ana are very welcome to create
> >
> >  further issues of the lgmag! at the same time, i'd also like to see
> >  other crews creating "their" lgmag!
>
> But Ale, that "their" you put here... doesn’t it defeat the idea of
> gathering and joining forces around one project?
I think Ale wants to have special edition at special occasion. Which is quiet
common for professional magazine too ;) And I think it makes sense, to have
the LGM Special Issue, the "froscamp" Special Issue, especially if they are
fully (or almost, I guess some articles can be prepared before hand). But it
would be better if the articles are also written live, so at a booth you could
have a few computers with our programs installed, and people playing with them
to produce an article, and then they could help with the layouting too. It
would give a live demo of the programs.

> 3. Start with a quarterly, keep it like that for a year, increase the
> number of pages if necessary, until we reach the point where the project
> seems viable enough and has drawn much attention and interest and then
> accelerate the rythm of issuing to every 2 months. If we can, increase the
> rythm to a monthly publication.

Totally agree.

> In order to keep production cost as low as possible and at the same
> concentrating as much as possible on an interesting content I would suggest
> we start with either a black and white publication (remember, in design
> black is a color) at least for the interior pages, or that we start with a
> color cover (C1-C4) and the interior in black ink. That way we could print
> at very low cost and most everybody could handle the printing locally
> withoug busting any budget. And we can have a state-of-the-art magazine.

I am a bit ambivalent about the b&w vs color. I see your point, and for an
amateur magazine, I would also recommend to start with b&w. But here, we are
speaking of magazine showing graphics creation, I fear that color is not
optional (as much as I like b&w art :) ).

--
Cyrille Berger