[CREATE] LG magazine #1::∞

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 09:54:25 PDT 2010

2010/8/18 ricardo lafuente <bollecs at sollec.org>

> Hai,
>
> No one here, i guess, did or would defend that anyone in the community
> would want to publish LibreGraphics-related materials shouldn't do so. Given
> that so few community-generated printed materials were made so far, having a
> serious effort to do something is naturally most welcome.
>
> I think many questions are getting tangled up in this discussion, so i'd
> like to focus on one: is there any particular reason why a
> LibreGraphics-related publication would have to be related to the "Libre
> Graphics Magazine" project, be it as a 'special issue' or whatever else?

Good question. In fact, the title of the thread was about the magazine...
Which obviously led to discuss this bearing in mind the "magazine"
paradigm...

> The reason i'm asking this is because my (personal) perception of what a
> magazine is implies a sense of persistence and continuity.

Exactly what I think too.

> For instance, i'd say that LGMag#0 was closer to a brochure (i hate the
> term, but hope you see the point) than a magazine; this was because of big
> time constraints and we couldn't afford to set a master plan that would set
> an identity and standard for the kind of longer-term project that a magazine
> is. The materials published by the Libre Graphics community so far --
> LGMag#0 included -- have mostly been one-off pieces created by different
> teams with distinct approaches and editorial decisions in mind, even if
> sharing the same goals.

Yes again.

> Nevertheless, LGMag#0 was a good kickstarter for a bigger "Libre Graphics
> Magazine" project which can be closer to this notion of 'magazine', and
> which can aim higher. Ginger, Ana and i are already discussing among
> ourselves how this could work -- and we'll post here for your consideration
> once we have a structured plan that we believe in.

Can’t wait to read more about this!

> In the same vein, my thoughts on the semi-decentralised approach that was
> proposed for LGMag:
>
> I think that the reason for the dearth of LG-related printed material so
> far is not lack of authorisation/permission, but of initiative. Letting
> people know that they can create their own LGMagazine is not what's going to
> make someone rush to publish all of a sudden. The antidote here is, perhaps,
> encouragement: we can and should encourage local initiatives to create and
> publish their own Libre Graphics materials, be they magazines, brochures,
> posters, and what have you, providing where possible the means to help them
> do so.

I guess you have in mind that we should here provide the links to the
downloadable files for the logo and a the graphic guidelines? Or would we
simply let people do what they want, how they want?

Somehow we’re looking for consistency? Ale was suggesting we have various
artistic approaches. I am not to keen with that idea. But again, it’s
arguable.

> That said, i see no reason (so far) why other such endeavours shouldn't be
> 'standalone' (being nonetheless endorsed by the Libre Graphics community)
> and why they should be instead attached to the LGMag project. I'd venture to
> say that having many parallel efforts would simply reflect and enrich the
> diversity that our community is known for -- and the reason why many of us
> love it.

Good.

Cheers !

Louis