[CREATE] Focus

Camille Bissuel cbissuel at yagraph.org
Mon Aug 30 00:32:55 PDT 2010

Hi all, and thanks Yuval for your thoughts.

Drawing my sketches for the website, I initially targeted every category of
public you mention (except maybe "a - the general public")...
I do agree that if the magazine is well targeted for LG users, the website
must have a larger audience.
As expressed initially, aim is to "spread and promote libre graphics
software, present them as professional, and connect LG people".

To mention proprietary tools maybe useful for some publics, like to say
"Inkscape is An Open Source vector graphics editor, with capabilities
similar to Illustrator, CorelDraw, or Xara X", but it's also quite dangerous
: as a.l.e said, we don't want to appear as cheaper than a proprietary tool,
because it's assimilated to less functional.
Gimp's people hate to ear people compare Gimp to Photoshop, and I agree :
Gimp is not a clone, it have different goals, different philosophy,
different resources, etc.
So for some public it's useful to say "Inkscape is An Open Source vector
graphics editor, with capabilities similar to Illustrator, CorelDraw, or
Xara X", but I do not which to put more than this short line.
On the other hand, I don't think we want to spit on companies like Adobe no
more : if we can share standards, it's a good thing.
But to promote freedom against those propriety tools is one the the goal of
this LG website to my eyes.

So, we have to be very careful on this subject, and the less we do, the less
we draw confusion : one line, no more. IMHO, make comparative table is a
trap we want to avoid.

Also, It would be great to have Create badges on each project website who
agree to !

I think we are reaching some point of consensus on this subject, and I'd be
glad to start working on i in the next weeks.

See you,
--yagraph