[CREATE] Focus:

a.l.e ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Mon Aug 30 23:43:04 PDT 2010

ciao yuval,

> I made the mistake and introduced "professional" in the original
> categories. My mistake.  I'd like to take it back.  I feel the
> concept of "professional" has been watered down completely in many
> areas.  More appropriate IMHO is "commercial".  The typical example
> is the "pro" photographer sitting at Wal*Mart and waiting to take a
> passport photo for you, with "professional" equipment.  Asked if they
> are "trained professionals", they are instructed to answer that they
> are trained to use the professional equipment on the location (which
> means: they never studied photography or anything else; they are just
> minimum-wage people trying to make a living and have been taught
> which buttons to push without thinking.  Nothing against them, but to
> me the word "pro" is void of any other meaning than a purely
> marketing one.  I've seen amateurs mastering the tools and producing
> images that are gazillions of light years ahead of the crap produced
> by some commercials - because the masters invest themselves, take
> pride in their job, strive for excellence: while many commercials
> just look after their own bottom-line, and consider every extra-
> effort to invest against the extra-revenue that it would generate.
> No immediate revenue? forget about the extra effort.  End of rant.
> Sorry.

i've meant to use the word "professional" to exclude the hackers who --
without any knowledge about graphics design -- uses our tools to make a
poster for their linux user group (or any other more modern geeky
association which has replaced them in the meantime).
those are most of our users and for them there are already tons of
resources on the web and in print.

the professional users i was talking about, may not be proficient
in the way they use the tools, but they know what they want to achieve.
i want to talk to them and show them how other people are using our
tools to achieve the results they are looking for and -- more generally
-- which tool we can offer to them.j

you may suggest a name which better fits this category, i'm not picky
about it.

i think i've already wrote it: i'm not really interested in lengthy
arguing about the choice of the words. carefully using words is
certainly important, but at this point i have the feeling that we don't
know how to present ourselves and to whom we want to talk in which
context... let's first sort this out, then we will have to concentrate
on an exact wording!

ciao
a.l.e

p.s.: no, i don't want to specifically target the woman taking pictures
at mediamarkt.