[CREATE] Application specific data in OpenRaster

Jon Nordby jononor at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 13:08:52 PST 2010

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 3:03 PM, Cyrille Berger <cberger at cberger.net> wrote:

> I must say that I am rather much against application specific data. I fear
> it
> will transform itself in a black hole used by applications to store a lot
> of
>  things that could be shared.

You're right. Making storing application specific data very easy will
probably make more apps do it instead of doing the work needed for a common
standard. Which is not something we want to facilitate.

On Friday 04 December 2009, you wrote:
> > Off the top of my head, mostly in development branches, we have things
> >  like: 1) A "strokemap" that contains information about which brush,
> color,
> >  et.c. was used where so you can pick it out from the image at a later
> >  time. 2) The tile used to generate the background
> > 3) A palette (as Gimp Palette Format or that XML based format)
> >
> > 2 and 3 could probably be standardized if we want to.

yes definitely. The tile used for the background, should be part of the
> option

of a generated layer. While the palette, could belong to a "settings/"
>  directory I think.

Generated layers would be very useful for MyPaint. Anyone has a proposal for
how to handle that?
Any specific reason for naming the directory "settings/" for palette? I see
a palette more as metadata? The strokemap mentioned below should probably
also go into this directory. What other things can we envision?

Not sure what a "strokemap" is ? But, if I understand correctly, Krita also
> have a similar feature, and it would be interesting to be interoperable.

If I have an image consisting of several brush strokes, I can "pick" out a
single brush stroke by clicking on it. This will change my current brush to
the brush used to create this stroke, including settings, color and size. If
the stroke is done on another layer, the current layer will also be switched
to that.
The "strokemap" is the data used to make this possible.

These brushes and settings are specific to MyPaints brush engine, so
obviously this data will not be of much value to applications not being able
to represent such brushes/behavior.

With Krita getting a MyPaint compatible brush engine, they might be able to
interoperate, depending on the data structures used in this file. Martin
Renhold is the one that knows most about that.

--
Regards Jon Nordby - www.jonnor.com