[CREATE] SwatchBooker 0.5

Olivier BERTEN olivier.berten at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 09:33:01 PST 2010

Cyrille Berger a écrit :
> On Thursday 21 January 2010, Olivier BERTEN wrote:
>
>> There's a mix of different reasons, the least not being my lack of
>> knowledge of XML and programming skills...
>>
>> I first went from <RGB r="1" g="1" b="1"> to <RGB values="1 1 1"> simply
>> because it was easier to deal with different color models the same way
>> (you were talking about laziness ;-) )
>>
> Well, I don't know if I am spoiled by the framework I use for xml, but for me
> accessing an attribute of an element is as simple as "red =
> element.attribute("r",0.0).toDouble()" :) The two reasons we went for that
> form is that in "1 1 1" the order of channels is not specified, and it is also
> not possible to validate it with a schema (there have been changed on XML
> schemas to also validate data, but I don't know if it would work in that
> case).

I understand the validation point but I'm not really sure of the
interest in validating data... since <sRGB r="20" g="-100" b="0.2"/>
would validate but it wouldn't make any sense... but it might be my bad
knowledge of xml ;-)

For the code question, mine is
"item.values[(elem.attrib['model'],elem.attrib['space'])] =
map(eval,elem.text.split())". So it's the same code for any model, which
makes sense since I don't display the colors at parsing time but later
in the process, where I use data provided in another "format" anyway.
>> For the rest (metadata, swatch organization) wich aren't in the create
>> draft, I made some choices but I'm already reconsidering most of them...
>>

> What are the choice ? I think we would aim to use things like RDF/XMP, but
> neither of them are "simples", so I don't know if we should not also have a
> simple metadata spec that we can reuse (something based on dublin core,
> maybe).

My main choice was to not use (yet) any existing spec because it would
complexify my xml and at this early developement stage I want to keep it
easy to read for humans. But this is most probably going to change.

Olivier