[CREATE] About checks or bank drafts and wire transfers

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 06:38:49 PST 2010

Hi LGMers again,

I just want to clarify one thing.

If you are unsure whether you prefer a bank draft (or check in the US) or a
wire transfer, please note that an international bank draft costs about one
third of the cost of a wire transfer. You may want to check first with your
own bank if you are also going to be charged a fee for cashing the bank
draft or not. The same question should be asked for a wire transfer. We are
trying to keep as much money in the pocket of the developpers, not in the
pocket of the bank system... :)

The only real advantage of a wire transfer is the speed. It’s in most cases
instantaneous. It can also be the only secure way to handle money in some
countries, excluding notably but not exclusively the countries members of
the EU, Canada and the United States of America.

In 2007, we have had very low bank fees because most of the reimbursements
were done using bank drafts sent by regular mail. Those drafts can be done
in most major currencies. To my knowledge, not one single draft was lost in
the mail and nobody have experienced problems cashing those drafts. For a
few countries we had to use wire transfer because cashing a bank draft would
have been a real issue. We used wire transfers for Poland, Ukraine, Brasil
and Russia. For all other countries we used checks or bank drafts.

Louis

--
Louis Desjardins
Organisateur principal / Main organiser