[CREATE] desktop vs web

Nathan Willis nwillis at glyphography.com
Wed Mar 31 06:29:21 PDT 2010

Finally tracked down what I was not-quite-remembering RE a GIMP-based web
app: OnlinePhotoLab.com, from 2000.

It's dead, of course.  Turned up a reference to it in Wikipedia (permalink):
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Spencer_Kimball&oldid=350028332
Unfortunately, there's no archive.org cache of it either, thanks to
robots.txt: http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://onlinephotolab.com .

That's of historical interest only, but it's interesting that someone had
the idea that far back.  [I don't know Spencer at all; others probably
do]....  There are a few lingering references/reviews to the site launch
around, which make for interesting reading.

Nate

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 6:50 AM, Nicolas Spalinger <
nicolas_spalinger at sil.org> wrote:

> Nathan Willis wrote:
> > Wasn't there an open web-based raster editor at least *discussed* (if
> > not launched) five-or-more years ago?  I recall looking at it at the
> > time, but it wasn't prime-time-ready when I saw it.  I don't remember if
> > it was Gimp-derived or not, though.  Or maybe I'm imagining the whole
> thing.
> >
> > Also, another interesting point for discussion would be the prospect of
> > building an OFL-based service like Typekit.com ....
>
> Yes, there are definite plans to meet/discuss/move forward the Open Font
> Library at the next LGM along with plenty of other font-related
> things... we're working on it... stay tuned.
>
> BTW, existing online font services already provide various quality open
> fonts in their catalogues, for example Kernest:
> http://kernest.com/licenses/sil-open-font-license
>
> As long as they do not remove or hide away the readmes, FONTLOG and
> metadata indicating clearly the original designer's copyright and
> licensing intents, it's good to see them take advantage of the open
> fonts available and they are welcome to do it. Too many sites blur the
> distinction between the "free fonts", i.e. freeware
> somehow-distribute-but-don't-modify-or-redistributed and the libre/open
> fonts under clear community-approved licensing allowing distribution,
> modification and redistribution. Thankfully there seems to be a reverse
> trend we should encourage of actually showing the metadata and related
> information about the font's design with links back to the author's own
> pages.
>
> Some food for thought on that subject on:
> http://advogato.org/person/yosch/diary/60.html
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Nicolas Spalinger, NRSI volunteer
> Debian/Ubuntu font teams / OpenFontLibrary
> http://planet.open-fonts.org

Come to Texas Linux Fest, April 10 - registration now open at
www.texaslinuxfest.org
--
nathan.p.willis
nwillis at glyphography.com