[CREATE] Foreground/Background color (was: Questions and reflections about gradients)

Olivier BERTEN olivier.berten at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 15:24:59 PDT 2010

Le 04/11/10 05:02, Jon Cruz a écrit :
>> * I don't see the point in Foreground/Background colors
>>
>> <http://www.mail-archive.com/create@lists.freedesktop.org/msg01272.html>
>>
>> ;-) I see even less the point in having gradients swatches defined with
>>
>> Foreground/Background colors... This is a "feature" you can find in
>>
>> Photoshop and Gimp gradients. For sure I don't see how it would be
>>
>> useful in an exchange format...
>>
>> On Nov 3, 2010, at 5:34 PM, Sven Langkamp wrote:
>>
>> The feature
>> itself makes sense (I recently added it to Krita on request). That is
>> mostly used for foreground-transparent and foreground-background
>> gradients that are handled by the applications internally but not
>> exported.
> There are actually many cases where having foreground and background color gradients comes in handy. Artists can really take advantage of them.
>
> As a programmer you might think of them as something similar to code templates in C++.
>
> As far as an exchange format goes, they probably will be useful. If nothing else, an exchange format should not lose any data. Instead it is better to include a combined set of possible features. At the very least you will want a lossless data format.
It might be interesting in a software but I really don't see how it
makes sense in a library file... (just like the "Registration" color).
Out of the context, it looses any signification. In 2 minutes, my
foreground color will be different. And yours is probably another one at
the moment. How can the "foreground color" defined in the gradient file
I'd send you now have any signification ?

By the way, I'm not looking for a lossless data format... (If you want
all the features, just import them. I'm documenting all the formats I'm
reading) I'm looking for a format that actually makes fully sense... And
doesn't keep absurd things we've just been used to because at a certain
time, it was easier to implement, or because someone decided some day
this was fun...

Olivier