[CREATE] [OpenRaster] libora: shallow review, thoughts

Jon Nordby jononor at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 14:13:12 PDT 2010

I intend to implement library functionality that viewer-class
applications can use to support OpenRaster. My focus will first be on
a simple API for getting a pixelbuffer of the fully rendered image.
Eventually good integration in existing GTK+ and Qt based applications
is the goal. I'm hoping that I can do this by extending or building on
top of libora, so I had a quick look at the code. Here is some
feedback based on that.

- Generated code
There is generated code in src/lib/layers/stack_parser.h
It has a comment saying "Generated with genesx alpha", but I could
find anything relevant on google. How is it generated? What is the
license?

- Documentation
There is no documentation. I'm missing high-level documentation for
the library: purpose, scope, use-cases, design principles;
and low level documentation of the code:
file/function/datastructure/macro documentation and comments. For a
start it needs enough docs that people (like me) are able to hack on
or use it without having to read and understand the source for each
and every function. Luka, since you wrote the code, can you please
help out here?

- API/ABI
We want the library to be api/abi stable eventually. The current api
is not good enough in that aspect, for instance read/write_layer uses
a single positional argument for each layer attribute. This will break
the second someone adds a new attribute, something that has actually
already happened. There needs to be a more extensible way to handle
this and similar things.
I would welcome input from experienced library developers here.

There was also a lot of minor things, but that is of lesser importance
at this stage.

--
Regards Jon Nordby - www.jonnor.com