[CREATE] OpenRaster metadata

Luka Čehovin luka.cehovin at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 04:23:55 PDT 2010

Because of recent interest in libora I have been motivated to look
into the code again for documentation purposes. I have also noticed
that my next step (when I put the project on hold in February) would
be to add metadata support. This seemed like a step into the uncharted
territory at the time as I had no impression that any consensus had
been established for metadata in OpenRaster ... except for the format
which looks like it is going to be XMP.

So before I start diving deeper into this (when I will have some time)
I would like to know if any application that supports ora files
already implemented some kind of metadata support and if we can build
on that? Also, what kind of libraries do you use to manage XMP or what
XMP libraries do you know at all? For libora I am thinking of using
exempi [1]. Any thoughts on that?

The thing that worries me a bit with XMP in general is that it looks
extremely complicated ... but on the other hand it is very flexible
and standardized. Does anyone have any experience with XMP and would
be willing to help (at least as a consultant)?

[1] - http://libopenraw.freedesktop.org/wiki/Exempi

--
Luka Čehovin
http://luka.tnode.com