[CREATE] Art & Montréal (was Re: LGM 2011 - Montreal - May 10-11-12-13)

ginger coons ginger at adaptstudio.ca
Tue Sep 7 18:56:26 PDT 2010

> Anyone have contacts there?

Not a problem at all. Off the top of my head, I can think of:

Studio XX (http://www.studioxx.org/splash.html) a feminist, new media artist
run centre with F/LOSS usage actually in its mandate. And they've already
expressed interest in being involved.
SAT (http://www.sat.qc.ca/) the grand poobah of tech-art centres in
Montreal. Very accommodating and I believe LGM has had dealings with them in
the past (reception for LGM 2007 was at their space).
Department of Design and Computation Arts at Concodia University (
http://design.concordia.ca/) which has some profs who are very keen on
exposing their students to F/LOSS and has good ties to other research
centres, like Hexagram (http://hexagram.ca/).
Daniel Langlois Foundation (http://www.fondation-langlois.org/html/e/) which
does majorly good work in furthering digital art in Quebec.

There's loads more, but that's what immediately comes to mind when I think
of media arts in Montreal. (Full disclosure: I studied in Design and
Computation Arts at Concordia, work extensively with Studio XX and have
colleagues within Hexagram. Although in this case, I think all those tied up
interests are a useful thing instead of a conflict.)

In short, don't worry.

--
ginger "all-lower-case" coons
adaptstudio.ca