[CREATE] Open source ideas associated with profits for industries.

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Sat Sep 11 09:56:08 PDT 2010

On 09/11/2010 10:07 AM, Susan Spencer wrote:
> Just FYI...
> This TED talk is from May, 2010.
> Open source ideas are on the radar for big business.
> It's interesting that open source is being discussed as a business
> approach which greatly enhances the bottom line at a conference which
> cost around $2200 to attend.
>
> _*Johanna Blakley: Lessons from fashion's free culture*_
> "Copyright law's grip on film, music and software barely touches the
> fashion industry ... and fashion benefits in both innovation and sales,
> says Johanna Blakley. At TEDxUSC 2010, she talks about what all creative
> industries can learn from fashion's free culture."
> http://www.ted.com/talks/johanna_blakley_lessons_from_fashion_s_free_culture.html

I think these are good points, excellent points in fact. We need more
anti-greed points of view like this. Someone to point out the there can
be innovation, sometimes quite exciting innovation outside the walls of
protectionism.

I think perhaps fashion designers have the same perspective that I do
with things I create: as long as you don't make some literal copy of
what I do and pretend it's your own, I can live with you seeing what I
do and reassembling the bits and pieces as you see fit. Everything I do
is to some extent exactly that. I would hope that the value that I
present has to do with where I go from now, rather than where I have been.

Filmmakers have a phrase that specifically deals with this as they "pay
homage to" some prior work as they do a riff on someone's scene or
dialog. Automakers think nothing of copying some features of the "look"
of a Mercedes in the rear profile of a Ford.

We live in a time of a subpopulation mindset that looks for some way to
do some work, or capture someone else's work, then collect money from it
for the rest of their lives. This would be quite absurd thinking in fashion.

Greg