[CREATE] LGM 2012

Nathan Willis nwillis at glyphography.com
Fri Aug 12 11:27:55 PDT 2011

On 08/12/2011 11:47 AM, Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 10:49 AM, Louis Desjardins
> <louis.desjardins at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Joao !
>>
>> So far and to my knowledge the only formal and yet to be officially proposed
>> (only a matter of vacation time, actually) and the most serious location and
>> team is Toulouse in France. More to come in the coming weeks (or days,
>> even).
>

> For this to work, we have to ask for sponsorship right now - this meas
> we can get sponsorship for the air tickets sponsored as well.
> Can someone give me a figure of  (max) number of developers/lecturers
> who should be sponsored? If we can factor this in in the sponsorship,
> we get over the main difficult of
> hosting it "far away" from Europe/North America.

IIRC, there's never been a fixed number of people in the past.  Every
effort was made to sponsor everyone who didn't have an employer- or
project-sponsored ticket, and the total was divided up as equitably as
possible.  But I could be wrong; I've only been on the periphery of
those discussions.
> The sposorship and organizers are actually related with "gnugraf" - a
> user oriented
> Libre Graphics event that is holding its 4th instance this year:
> http://gnugraf.org/
>

> People are interested in making "gnugraf" much larger for 2012 - and are getting
> professional help for this to happen - I am meeting the person
> responsible for getting this sponsorship for the next 2 days (Eliane
> Domingos, copyed here) - so that we can have "gnugraf 5" and "Libre
> Graphics Meeting 2012" as one single thing.

I for one thing that's great; since LGM has always been a moveable feast
(so to speak), trying to co-locate it with calendar-and-geographically
near events seems like an excellent opportunity.  Puts far less strain
on the local organizing team (which is part of why I perceive it's been
harder to get proposals going as the years progress).  Plus you have
access to a potentially wider audience, and perhaps more developers
could get approval for employer travel funding.

At least I think that the former seems to work for some other events
(like Community Leadership Summit and OSCON) the latter seems to work
for several kernel events.

Well that's my 2 céntimos, anyway -- anything that greases the machinery
of progress....

Nate

--
nathan.p.willis