[CREATE] LGM 2011: post-FOSDEM discussion

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 05:09:26 PST 2011

Le 11-02-08 04h49, Femke Snelting a écrit :
> Hello!

Hi !!! SUPER NICE !!! WOW !!!

COOL !

A few comments/adding thoughts in between...

> Finally 15 of us gathered around the table to talk LGM (and eat nice
> food) on Sunday. A bit chaotic with that many people in a restaurant,
> but quite some things got discussed. If you were there ... please
> add/correct:
>
> *Program*
> - Might need even more space for BOFs, working, meeting than before.
> Concentrating talks to 3 days?

We plan to have:
Scheduled team meetings
Scheduled "among-teams" meetings

So we're definitely going to have less "pure talks" to accomodate the
one-track schedule and to fit those in.

For BOFs remember we have already a 3-hour lunch time which main goal is to
have people gather and discuss. Do we need more than those "official" 12
hours? We can also use the evenings for BOFs. What do we need?

> - Would be nice to do 1 or 2 well-prepared panels to reflect the
> discussions going on in the community. Femke would like to take on
> organising 1

Very good idea. We need a time frame for this. Maybe two 30-min slots ?

> - Time to launch call for talks + re-organise wiki (Femke end-of-week;
> help appreciated)!

Yep.

> - Inspiring to have a fair amount of new participants each year. Start
> writing personal 'invitations' to people we want to be there, but are
> not automatically showing up. Names/projects mentioned: Lafkon, Antonio
> Roberts, Mushon Zer-Aviv (shiftspace), Montreal GeekGirls, processing,
> ... (can't read some of notes)

There deifinitely will be new people and extraordinary encounters !

> - We need to tell the same story about reimbursement process

It's not going to be the same old story. It went well in 2006 and 2007 and
we'll get back to this and even better this year. It's a commitment. We have
the right web and banking tools to do this now. My goal is to have the
reimbursements done within 2-4 weeks after LGM is over.

> *Pre-LGM lab*
> - Enthusiasm for idea + venue (ginger: 'That is a very cool
neighbourhood')
> - Possibly hosting a mozilla booksprint (organizer: Jon Phillips)?
> - Some concerns about splitting artist-energy from the actual event and
> also stretching over a whole week. Need to discuss how to
> connect/parallel activities.

As far as we are now, we have room for the whole week-end prior to LGM for
lab-sessions. This can be as *organised* or as *improvised* as we want. We
have a place and we might also have more places. But the idea is not to
split people but in fact offer them space and time to gather. This will be
on the LGM website.

> *Visual identity*
> - Identity: 2010 logo to be re-used; lots of excitement about Eric
> Schrijver and ginger coons teaming up to design/produce this years'
> T-shirts/aprons/badges/banners/tattoos :-)

Please get in touch with me for all the pieces that needs to be prepared in
advance!

> - Website: Ale + Alex are getting site ready for 2011

There is defintely a need for an open structure where I can update info
without having to ask anybody for it. Not to let open to anyone but at least
to update the critical info. Can we do that? :)

> *Venue*
> - Happy to have a lodging solution, but many have concerns about
> size/atmosphere of main hall -- how to 'own' the place? (ginger + Peter
> visit space with Louis in 2 weeks; Eric plotting a theatrical take-over
> already!)

Please let me know what are the concerns. We need to talk ahead !

> - Food solution? ginger investigates.

Please give me fore food for thoughts here!

> - Could there be parts downtown? which parts?

Pre-LGM is downtown or near downtown.
Some night activity will be held downtown.
Actually, you'll see Montreal like you never saw it before!
Monday May 9 is not set yet but we have a couple of plans!

> *Funding*
> - Peter Linnel on track for finding good sponsors (and speakers); more
> news hopefully soon
> - Jon Phillips votes for using Kickstarter this year; Femke starts
> Pledgie if it doesn't work out before March ;-)
> - Francophonie is on our side again. If you are a (preferably
> frenchspeaking ;-)) participant from Albanie, Arménie, Bénin, Bulgarie,
> le Burkina Faso, Le Burundi, Cambodge, Cameroun, Cap Vert, Comores, le
> Congo, Côte d'Ivoire, Djibouti, Egypte, Gabon, Ghana, Guinée, Guinée
> Bissau, Guinée Équatoriale, le Laos, le Liban, Madagascar, le Mali, le
> Maroc, Maurice, Moldavie, Le Niger, RD le Congo, République
> centrafricaine, la Roumanie, le Rwanda, Sénégal, Tchad, le Togo,
> Tunisie, le Viêt-Nam: please contact Louis directly about the procedure
> for funding your trip!

Please put at least "LGM 2011" in the subject line! Write at my gmail
address (my full name with a dot in between name and surname).

> *Other*
> - 6-12 August a Desktop Summit takes place in Berlin (invitation to be
> posted on this list). Can use our Libre Graphics input.
> - Nicu made lots of pictures -- expect them to show up here:
> http://nicubunu.blogspot.com

Wow !

> More soon,

Great !

Louis

> Femke

Louis Desjardins
Libre Graphics Meeting 2011 - Montréal May 10-13
www.libregraphicsmeeting.org