[CREATE] LGM2011 Launch Timings + pledgie drive

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 15:58:29 PST 2011

2011/2/11 jon at rejon.org <jon at rejon.org>

> I think better then to keep in lock-step about that plan. For the
> talks, we know about it, shorter time means higher quality...and in
> the end, its a bit of ballot box stuffing on getting talks...one thing
> that would be really nice is to make cuts on talks too! and/or
> recommendation for updates on other talks...at some point, just
> accepting everything allows noise.

2011 will be the raise of the panels ! :) (so less noise !!!!)

Less talks, more meetings and scheduled team and among teams meetings too.
That way, we really meet !

Yesterday when we talked I put the idea of having a design contest for LGM.
We'd open it soon, close it about 2-3 weeks before LGM starts, pick the best
15 projects (we would ask people to use any open source tool and produce a
printable poster of 24“ X 36“ that I would print at my office). The pick for
those 15 would be made by the people voting and then for the last call, to
determine the winner out of the 15 semi-finalists we could have a jury (?)
made of (?) professionals, teachers (tbd) and then we have a winner and
possibly a prize (?) — a Linux box filled with the software ? Thinking out
loud... Those posters would be all over the place in Galerie Rolland at
Polytechnique so we'd own the place graphically ! :)

What d'ya think ?

Louis

> 2.0.11 is about decreasing the noise and increasing the signal, right? :)
>
> Jon
>
> On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 6:15 PM, Louis Desjardins
> <louis.desjardins at gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2011/2/11 jon at rejon.org <jon at rejon.org>
> >>
> >> ok, yes, better for international things. My friend Mark who owns
> >> pledgie update it and is adding video support.
> >>
> >> How about we target march 1 for announcing the conference and the pledge
> >> drive.
> >>
> >> Is that good and realistic? That gives two months of money raising and
> >> getting quality submissions together prior to the conference.
> >>
> >> I would argue then best to do another press blast on April 2 (not
> >> april 1 joke day).
> >>
> >> Then a final one the week of the event to secure some press.
> >>
> >> I updated only some minor things on the wiki, but is getting tighter.
> >>
> >> Great to have the site and all major pieces for accepting submissions
> >> and the like together prior.
> >
> > This plan rocks !
> >
> > 2 months is more than enough to gather the momentum around Pledgie, yes.
> >
> > One thing is I would launch the call for talks a bit sooner. What do you
> > think?
> >
> > Femke : closing the call for talks ~3 weeks before LGM sounds reasonable
> ?
> > Friday April 22?
> >
> > Louis
> >>
> >> http://create.freedesktop.org/wiki/Conference
> >>
> >> Jon
> >>
> >> --
> >> Jon Phillips
> >> http://rejon.org/ | http://fabricatorz.com/
> >> chat/skype: kidproto | irc: rejon
> >> +1.415.830.3884 (global) | +1-510-499-0894 (sf)
> >

> > --
> > Louis Desjardins
> > libregraphicsmeeting.org
> > +1 514 994 9351 (Cell)
> > +1 514 934 1353 ext. 121 (Montréal)
> >

> --
> Jon Phillips
> http://rejon.org/ | http://fabricatorz.com/
> chat/skype: kidproto | irc: rejon
> +1.415.830.3884 (global) | +1-510-499-0894 (sf)

--
Louis Desjardins
libregraphicsmeeting.org
+1 514 994 9351 (Cell)