[CREATE] LGM2011 Launch Timings + pledgie drive

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 05:18:02 PST 2011

2011/2/12 Femke Snelting <snelting at collectifs.net>

> Hello
>
> (let's keep ginger, our other local in the loop and/or should we discuss
> this on CREATE?)

The Create list is perfect for that. We also have a few more people in
Montréal : Celine Celines, Aline Crédeville and Christina Haralanova who
should be able to enter the dance ! So it's better to keep the discussions
on this track I think.

>     I think better then to keep in lock-step about that plan. For the
>>    talks, we know about it, shorter time means higher quality...and in
>>    the end, its a bit of ballot box stuffing on getting talks...one thing
>>    that would be really nice is to make cuts on talks too! and/or
>>    recommendation for updates on other talks...at some point, just
>>    accepting everything allows noise.
>>
>> 2011 will be the raise of the panels ! :) (so less noise !!!!)
>>
>> Less talks, more meetings and scheduled team and among teams meetings
>> too. That way, we really meet !
>>

> Not sure about needing less talks, but in favour of having a few
> well-prepared, moderated panels :-)

Femke ! It's a reality. We have 4 days and so many hours. If we organise
panels of 90 minutes we'll have 3 less “talks“ for each panel but we gain a
panel. What we do not want is spread the people in 2 or 3 tracks. Plus,
scheduling the teams’ meetings will also pave the road to more exchanges.

>  Yesterday when we talked I put the idea of having a design contest for
>> LGM. We'd open it soon, close it about 2-3 weeks before LGM starts, pick
>> the best 15 projects (we would ask people to use any open source tool
>> and produce a printable poster of 24“ X 36“ that I would print at my
>> office). The pick for those 15 would be made by the people voting and
>> then for the last call, to determine the winner out of the 15
>> semi-finalists we could have a jury (?) made of (?) professionals,
>> teachers (tbd) and then we have a winner and possibly a prize (?) — a
>> Linux box filled with the software ? Thinking out loud... Those posters
>> would be all over the place in Galerie Rolland at Polytechnique so we'd
>> own the place graphically ! :)
>>

> Louis, have a look at the titanpad/notes on wiki -- we described a possible
> scenario: ginger and me talked extensively about your offer to print posters
> and we felt it is a great idea. We both prefer to rather invite people to
> make posters available as free content (including sources!) and than have a
> discussion about them @ LGM (not a contest), to pick a few for printing and
> to feature others in Libre Graphics Magazine. Maybe re-discuss with ginger
> next week; we're ready to organise it and make it interesting for different
> types of participants.

Nice. The idea of a contest was actually something we discussed with Celine
and was actually a derivative idea of the work done by Yuval in 2009 —
remember those incredible panoramas ! If we don't want to call that a
contest but we have a jury... isn't that a bit of two contrary ideas?
Designers are completely driven by contest btw. For artists, it's a
different thing. Anyway, I do not wish to argue too much on that. I guess
that the prize is to be published and showed at LGM. But again, will that be
enough to gather the top designers? Just a side note about the numbers: 15
posters to be printed in the magazine, this is a lot, Ginger. Unless you put
a few per page? The cost for printing one poster is something. The cost for
printing them in a magazine is something else. Only a thought, since money
is an issue !

Whatever we call this, the idea is to have a series of outstanding designs
made with open source software. :)

Cheers!

Louis