[CREATE] LGM11 panel proposal: attracting new devs

jon at rejon.org jon at rejon.org
Fri Feb 18 07:30:45 PST 2011

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 8:56 AM, Louis Desjardins
<louis.desjardins at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/2/18 a.l.e <ale.comp_06 at xox.ch>
>>
>> hi jon,

>>> Good initiative. However, I think that "attracting new devs" is a bit
>>> to narrow an approach. A project can have new people stop by every
>>> week and still not be productive. I'm thinking something along the
>>> lines of "How to keep and make productive libre graphics projects?".
>>> Having a steady inflow of new developers is part of that, but just a
>>> means to an end in my book.
>>
>> yep, "getting new developers involved" may be a better title...
>>
>> just to be clear: it's not mostly about a marketing strategy, but rather
>> about structures and processes that can help new developers getting
>> involved.
>>
>> one point is indeed getting (potential) developers to feel attracted by
>> our projects (attracting them...) but, i agree with jon that the harder part
>> is about getting their contribution in the projects!
>
> +1
>
> I think it is a great idea. I am not sure if a panel serves the idea better
> than a talk or a workshop but the idea is great ! It's a topic for LGM. A
> lot of people don't even thing they could be of great help to projects.
> Coding is one, but features have to be carefully sketched before we actually
> code. Unless the coders know the field perfectly (and even if they do), they
> need the input from the users.
>
> Louis
>>
>> ciao
>> a.l.e

I'm a big supporter for power to committer, but isn't the best way to
attract new developers to inspire them with kickass future and great
stuff already happening? I find the newbie and trying to get more
people involved stuff, basically like the SCALE conference, and other
entry level linux conferences utter failures.

The best way to get new people involved is to ask new people to get
involved and blow their minds, not talk to the same crowd about how we
should get X, Y and Z people into the room.

Just a thought...
Jon

--
Jon Phillips